Public Administration Seminar
The Project for this Integrative Seminar requires students to identify an existing public sector problem in a real-world setting, and then apply learned skills and research methods to propose a solution using Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Related, and Timely (S.M.A.R.T.) recommendations. Students will be working independently on a capstone project addressing a current issue, in this case, the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, throughout the semester, culminating in a final research term paper.
As a result of COVID-19, this class was recently adapted and students will now collectively examine the public sector/service response to the global pandemic. You are tasked with examining the United States Postal Service (USPS) and how it was affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
You will provide background and context on USPS, research the organization and its response to the COVID-19 outbreak, develop a SWOT assessment identifying the Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats, and finally, develop recommendations on how its public policies and services could be more effective, efficient, and equitable.
Students should demonstrate content knowledge and critical thinking when identifying and analyzing relevant academic literature and proposing SMART recommendations. College-level writing proficiency is expected in adherence with APA guidelines.
When considering affected areas within this organization some key points than can be covered:
-COVID 19 & effects of logistics
-Risk of COVID 19 spreading
-Employments & COVID 19
-Transportation and impacts of COVID 19
-Supply & Demand of mailing service due to covid
- Introduction- Identify the specific public sector organization that will be the focus of your capstone project, in terms of its response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. This section should be 2 pages.
- Background- Provide background information on your selected public sector organization, including its mission or purpose, historical context, and response to date to the pandemic. This section should be approximately 2-3 pages.
- Literature Review- Review and synthesize the literature related to COVID-19 as it relates to your selected public organization and cite at least five (7) academic-quality references, APA style. This section should be approximately 3-4 pages.
- Recommendations- Assess the organization’s pandemic response and develop a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) analysis. Propose at least 1 but no more than 3 recommendations tailored to your specific public organization (USPS). What did they do well? What could they have done better? Keep in mind, that the recommendations should be S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Related, and Timely). This section should be approximately 2-3 pages.
- Conclusion- Provide a cohesive conclusion that summarizes the research paper and findings. This section should be approximately 1-2 pages.
|This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Content Knowledge Demonstrates an understanding of theoretical concepts, principles and practices, and historical foundations of public administration||Proficient Accurately and appropriately includes and applies relevant theories, principles and practices, historical foundations to conceptualize and communicate the depth and breadth of problem presented|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeCritical Thinking Identifies and summarizes the problem/question, presents historical analysis of the problem and organizational context,||Proficient The main problem is identified and articulated in a manner that validates its significance; Historical foundations relevant for conceptualizing and communicating the depth and breadth of problem are presented;|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeWritten Communication Demonstrate effective written communication using college-level language, vocabulary and writing conventions||Proficient Demonstrates clarity and organization in the development of ideas; Effective choice of language and vocabulary; Demonstrates competency and knowledge of standard writing conventions to enhance logic, flow, and readability|
|This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeAPA Style and Formatting||Proficient The paper is organized and properly formatted based on APA style guidelines;|