The format for this Discussion Forum post remains as in your initial reflective posts the previous Strategies in Resolving Conflicts at Work:
- A brief (one – two sentence) introduction.
- Heading identification for each Strategy.
- The direct quote or passage with proper APA citation.
- Brief (three – five sentence) reason why you chose the quote/passage.
- Reference to source of quote/passage and other authors whose works you may be including in your reflection. The word Reference must be centered at the end of your narrative with the reference(s) listed below this heading in proper APA format.
Post at least one direct quote or passage you chose from Strategy 8, one direct quote or passage you chose from Strategy 9, & one direct quote or passage from Strategy 10 that meant the most to you and the reason why you chose each quote.
For this learning segment, complete in order:
1. Diagnosing Organizational Culture
- This instrument Diagnosing Organizational Culture by Roger Harrrison and Herb Stokes is designed to help you identify aspects of your organization’s culture and to begin to think about your experiences with the values and management practices of your organization.
- Please set aside some quiet time to complete the instrument. Do not labor over the answers. Generally, your first impressions will be valid.
- After you have completed the rankings, enter your scores on the “Scoring Sheet” and total each column on the sheet and complete the “Organizational Culture Profiles” sheet.
- Then take some time to read “Understanding Your Organization’s Culture” and the various “Orientations.”
2. View the PowerPoint lecture
3. Then write a short paper to record your thoughts on organizational culture based on what you learned upon completion of this instrument.
After completing and scoring Diagnosing Organizational Culture, reading the interpretive material in the instrument’s booklet, and viewing the PowerPoint lecture, reflect in writing on what you discovered about your preferred and organization’s culture paying attention to the following:
• Where are the differences between the existing and preferred scores?
• What might account for these differences?
• What is the significance of this for you as an employee?
• What would be different in your organization if the existing culture changed to your preferred culture?
• If the existing culture matches your preferred culture, what is the significance of this for you as an employee?
• What strengths and advantages do the current (existing) culture give your organization? What disadvantages are there in the current (existing) culture?
• Where do you go from here? (pages 25 – 27)
Before completing this assignment, please read the information on structured observation; take a look at the samples of observation tools; and access the PowerPoint lecture. These materials are located in the Log #1 folder if you are accessing this assignment from the Main page. Becoming familiar with them will help you complete this Log #1 assignment.
“Begin with the end in mind.” (Steven Covey, 2013)
This first log assignment is a best quality description of your current thoughts about an organizational change project you would like to implement as the principal change agent. No cover page is needed for this assignment. If you include direct or indirect quotes from outside sources, proper citation (APA) and a separate reference page is required.
Then complete your log to include two parts:
Part One – the change you would like to see take place in your organization
The items below must be included in Part One:
- Where, in your own organization, do you see a need for change?
- What is the change you would like to see take place?
- Why/how do you know that this change (no matter how “small” it may seem today) is significant and worthwhile?
- What challenges/difficulties could you anticipate would occur in bringing your thoughts about the needed change to your organization?
- What might the anticipated outcome of such a change be?
If you are not currently working in an organization, you may create your action plan for an organization you are familiar with. For example, an organization where you were previously employed; an organization where you previously/currently volunteer; a service organization of which you are a member. Once you identify the organization, complete this assignment.
Part Two – the tool you will be using to conduct your fieldwork
View the PowerPoint lecture on Structured Observation and various observation methods. Then in your log:
– Write a paragraph identifying the type tool you would use If you were able to observe the dynamics in your organization that cause you to want change and that would help you in identifying, validating and reasoning the change you would like to implement.
Please note: In thinking about the Change you would like to see take place:
You may think it is not possible for you to truly make this change happen, but don’t let that keep you from identifying what NEEDS to be done: what SHOULD be done; and what is important to the vitality of the organization and its success. Consider thinking of this as the “near possible” leadership challenge of an organization.